How to get the most from your Home Insurance Policy
Turner Insurance News • November 01, 2018
e are happy to be able to offer the most comprehensive home insurance policy available in Spain. It is specially designed for Expats living in Spain, with all policy documents in English so you know exactly what you are getting.
Make sure you understand what your cover includes and what it doesn’t.
At Turner Insurance, our policy includes the following:
- Our Home insurance policy covers you in the event of Fire, explosion, lightning, water damage, damage caused by acts of vandalism or of ill intent.
- Floods, rain, hail, snow, broken windows, broken sanitary ware.
- Theft with violence and mugging inside the home.
- We provide 24-hour home emergency assistance for plumbers, builders, electricians, carpenters and locksmiths.
- Optional full accidental damage cover for building and contents
- Automatic cover for jewellery and valuables up to 20% of the contents sum insured in your home
- Cover for excess water consumption up to 1.000€ in the event of a leak, even if no damaged caused
- Cover for blocked pipes, even if the blockage does not cause any damage
- Full cover for electrical damages
- Cover for plants and trees with a limit of 10% of the building sum insured. Maximum 600€ per plant or tree
- You are not limited to cover for 1 claim per year like some other companies
- Optional extra for covering jewellery outside the home available
- Cover to travel to Spain if the home has had a major problem.
- Alternative accommodation if the property is uninhabitable
We recommend reading your policy documents carefully, so you know exactly what you are covered for. Many people don’t realise that they can claim for that burst pipe or get their locks changed through their insurance.
Contents cover insures all personal belongings that are not part of the structure or fixtures, so basically anything that isn’t nailed down or screwed in, like furniture, computers, artwork, and jewellery.
Make an accurate valuation of your belongings
In Spain it is really important to insure your contents for the correct amount. If you overvalue or undervalue your items, you will lose out when it comes to making a claim. It doesn’t mean taking every item in your house to an appraiser, but make a list of your assets, and give them a reasonable value.
Items to list include: Jewellery, Artwork, Laptops, Computers, TV, Antiques, Collectibles, Family Heirlooms, clothing etc. Keep details like the date purchased and if possible the receipts or anything to prove the value.
Items that are sometimes forgotten, include outdoor items such as tools, or outdoor furniture.
We recommend take photos or videos of your valuables and keep these photos in a safe place not in your home. So that in the event of a fire or similar you will be able to produce the photos to show your belongings. Even take photos of Kitchens and bathrooms as these are counted as contents in some Spanish Insurance Policies.
There are special apps for your mobile, or computer that can help you to take an inventory of your valuables. Check out Sortly.com, Memento Database, or Nest Egg.
Good Maintenance Matters!
Try and make sure your home is as secure as possible. The cost of cover will depend upon well secured your property is. The stronger your security features such as doors, shutters, and alarms, the lower your premiums.
Early detection is key!
It is important to notice problems around your home as early as possible, as if you contact the insurance company too late, and more damage is caused because you didn’t act in time, you could lose out on your claim.
Keep an eye on your water bills for any unusual spikes. This could be caused by burst water pipes and the sooner you get it seen to the better. We cover up to €1,000 in excess water consumption in the event of a leak, even if no damage was caused.
If you want more information about how our home insurance policy could help you, give us a call on 966 461 625 or call into our office and speak with one of our friendly advisors.